North Devon

Best Kept Village: Buckland Brewer’s entry

The results of the village’s entry into the 2014 Best Kept Village Competition are as follows:

Best Kept Village Final Results for 2014

Past Winner – Large Village

  • Winner: Kilmington
  • Runner-up: Newton St Cyres

Past Winner – Small Village

  • Winner: Dalwood
  • Runner-up: Offwell

Large Village

  • Winner: Bradworthy
  • Runner-up: Musbury

Small Village

  • Winner: Sheepwash
  • Runner-up: Bratton Clcvelly

New Entry

  • Winner: Ashwater
  • Runner-up: Lympstone

Although Buckland Brewer did not win any prizes this year, the supporting letter from the judges is very encouraging and offers some ideas for the future:

Buckland Brewer

Buckland Brewer is a charming, pretty and compact village. It was mainly tidy with a small amount of old litter found on verges and in gutters and cigarette ends in other areas. Verges were well trimmed. Road signs were in need of a clean.

There were some houses in several roads, which had very weedy gutters. However, most houses, gardens, outbuildings, walls and fences were very well maintained. There are some lovely gardens. No allotments were found, although the website indicates they exist.

The Village Hall is central to the village life and well used. The kitchen looked adequate. It needs some external maintenance to the guttering/down pipes and the window sills. The telephone kiosk looks shabby. Notice boards were in good condition and had current information. No BKVposter was on display.

The Village Green was in good condition. Village children had written poems about WW1 and placed them next to poppies planted on the small green in front of the church porch. The school grounds looked tidy and well kept. There is an excellent playing field for cricket and football, which is well mown. The field was not shown on the map provided. The cricket wicket was well tended. The goal posts on the football pitch are rusty. The football pitch is also used for the village fete. There are new seats for spectators to enjoy the scene or the games. The seats at the Tarka Housing development were just acceptable, but need the lichen removed. Near the church the four seats are well positioned but one will need painting.

The footpath opposite the church was accessible and tidy. The path in Barton Road was littered and overgrown in places. On another visit the entrance to this path was obstructed by a householder’s wheelie bin.

The Community Shop serves the needs of the village and is run by a team of twenty volunteers. lt is well stocked selling amongst other things – local preserves, sweets and vegetables. Close by, there is the ”Sweet Window”, a delightful idea. Locally made sweets are sold through the little window by the very pleasant shopkeeper. The pub is very good and has clean toilets. The car park was also clean and tidy. lt is clearly popular with villagers. The bar staff were helpful and friendly and the food there was enjoyed by several judges. The commercial premises in Gorwood Road look very shabby, weedy and detract from the village scene. Two abandoned cars were also found. They looked to have been in situ for quite a time.

The Anglican Church dates back to Norman times and are a central feature of the village. It is beautifully maintained and is clearly much used and much loved. The porch has recently been restored to a very high standard. The church yard was well mown. The grass area in front and the war memorial were beautiful. The notice board here was good. The kissing gate needs attention and gate posts need painting. The Methodist Chapel was closed. The surrounding area was tidy.

The village map was rather poor and failed to show several of the features needed for judging purposes. Judges especially reported it difficult to find key buildings. The website had much good information and was user friendly. The village clearly has many groups and activities for young and old alike. There are weekly coffee mornings to bring residents together. Both the Parish Church and the Methodist Church are actively reaching out to the community. The Parish Council are actively leading initiatives for future housing and economic developments for the village and the wider Parish.

Buckland Brewer showed itself to good effect as a new entrant in the Best Kept Village Competition this year. The standard was very high in the New Entry category. Judges felt that with attention to the points highlighted, as needing attention, Buckland Brewer could be a future winning village in the Small ViIIage category of the competition. We hope to see you in the competition again next year!

Covering letter from the Best Kept Village in Devon competition (pdf 771kB)

Road Closure: Stibb Cross to Thorne Moor

Road closure

Map reproduced by kind permission of SWH. Crown copyright, all rights reserved.

Circumstances and weather permitting, the road between Thornmoor Cross and the Old Methodist Church, Buckland Brewer will be closed on Thursday 28 and Friday 29 August, 2014. This is to enable SWH to carry out patching works on behalf of Devon County Council.

Please be aware however, that the date may need to change at short notice. During the works, a diversion route will be signed and maintained. SWH and DCC will notify all affected properties.

SWH aims to maintain access to properties and businesses within the closures, however there may be times when access is restricted/delayed. SWH apologises in advance for any inconvenience caused by these essential works.

Contact

Joanna Cole, Customer Liaison Administrator

Telephone: 01805 622395: Ext: 2017

Buckland Brewer development: the draft Local Plan

North Devon and Torridge District Councis have published the draft Local Plan which covers proposed development in northern Devon up to 2031. Public consultation on the plan ends on 8 August 2014.

For full details see:

This map of Buckland Brewer village shows how the village is expected to change over the next 15 to 20 years.

Buckland Brewer Policies Map

For convenience of people living in the parish, we’ve reproduced the parts of the plan relevant to Buckland Brewer. You should read this in light of the contents of the whole draft plan.

Buckland Brewer Spatial Strategy

The community’s spatial vision for the Local Centre is that it should support a range of facilities and amenities to meet the needs of residents and that it should have a more balanced age profile than at present. The community accepts that significant growth in population, particularly in the younger age groups, is likely to be necessary to help achieve this.

The vision will be delivered through:

(a) provision of approximately 103 dwellings including affordable homes, to meet a range of housing needs in the community with an emphasis on smaller properties for families and single people. The supply of housing will be delivered through extant planning consents and two site allocations with a capacity for approximately 45 dwellings;

(b) two additional housing sites within the development boundary, together with smaller infill plots;

(c) seeking to retain and expand existing services and facilities in the village;

(d) retention of existing sports and recreation facilities, and

(e) supporting appropriate employment provision, including live-work units subject to market demand.

The Development Proposals

13.49

The spatial strategy for the village will be supported in a range of ways including the site specific policies below.

13.50

A development boundary for Buckland Brewer is defined on Policies Map 12 outside of which the principle of residential development is only supported on an exceptional basis. The development boundary includes opportunities for additional development in addition to the sites subject to specific policies.

Employment

13.51

Employment in Buckland Brewer is related primarily to service activities.

for Policy BBR01: Land Adjoining Football Pitch

(1) Land to the north of Buckland Brewer, as shown on Policies Map 12, is allocated for economic development to include a mix of unit sizes focused on meeting local business needs.

(2) The site should be developed in accordance with the following site specific development principles:

(a) a focus on economic uses within the B1 Use Class;

(b) a very high standard of unified design and appearance in view of the location of the site in the countryside; and

(c) appropriate screening on all boundaries to integrate the development into its countryside setting.

13.52

During the life of the Local Plan there may be a requirement for additional land or premises to accommodate businesses able to provide a service to, or employment for local people. A small site is allocated to accommodate this demand to the north of the village.

13.53

The allocated site of about 0.22 hectares can accommodate premises for light industrial or other B1 uses to help provide a range of employment opportunities in Buckland Brewer.  Its location will ensure minimal impact on existing residential property and on traffic in the village.

13.54

The site is in a very prominent position, visible from all directions, and its development needs to reflect this. A very high standard of design of buildings will be required to ensure visual impact is minimised.  Boundary planting will need to be substantial to help integrate new development into the countryside.

13.55

If required, the opportunity could be taken to integrate access arrangements for this site, the football pitch and the adjoining allotments.

Housing

13.56

There is a substantial existing commitment1 to additional housing in the village with permitted sites at Gorwood Road and to the south east of Buckland Brewer in association with a new village hall. Further sites are additionally allocated to meet the spatial strategy for Buckland Brewer over the plan period.

13.57

The identified sites are considered to be deliverable. They will be released to ensure a steady pace of development over the plan period and in accordance with the spatial strategy. The order of presentation does not reflect any priority for release of the sites.

13.58

Existing commitments include a number of affordable dwellings. During the plan period additional affordable homes may be needed to meet local needs. All sites will be required to meet a range of housing needs in accordance with the spatial strategy and general plan policies. If a more significant need for affordable property is identified land to the south of the settlement, known locally as ‘Cock Pheasant’, between the roads to Great Torrington and Thornhillhead, is considered suitable. This site is outside the development boundary and will be released only in accordance with Policy ST19: Affordable Housing on Exceptions Sites.

Policy BBR02: Land at Orleigh Close

(1) Land north east of Orleigh Close, as shown on Policies Map 12, is allocated for residential development that includes

(a) approximately 20 dwellings with an emphasis on providing a mix of housing types and sizes to reflect local need, including affordable homes; and

(b) adequate replacement for any parking spaces lost to obtain satisfactory access to the principal village road through Orleigh Close.

(2) The site should be developed in accordance with the following specific development principles:

(a) provide vehicular access only from Orleigh Close;

(b) a design and layout that provides an acceptable impact on existing properties;

(c) provision of a substantial tree and hedge screen on all boundaries with open countryside; and

(d) a pedestrian link to land proposed for development to the south east.

13.59

A site to the north east of Orleigh Close on the eastern side of the village is allocated for housing. The site is relatively level and can accommodate a range of dwellings to meet local needs. It is well related to the highway network and village facilities and with appropriate landscaping, will not harm the landscape setting of the village.

13.60

This site of approximately 1.1 hectares can make a significant contribution to enabling continuing growth in the village over the plan period without harming the setting of the village. To ensure this is achieved, development will be expected to follow the substantial completion of the existing commitment in association with the village hall. The site is not expected to be released at the same time as BBR03.

13.6

The site borders the front of properties in Orleigh Close. Detailed design and layout that avoids overlooking between existing and new properties is essential. Access through the site to Meadow Park will need to be provided.

13.62

Substantial planting on the eastern, currently undefined, boundary is required to minimise the impact on the countryside setting. Existing hedge boundaries will also be reinforced with native planting to create more biodiverse features capable of screening the site

Policy BBR03: Land to the North East of Orleigh Close

(1) Land to the north east of Orleigh Close, as shown on Policies Map 12, is allocated for residential development that includes approximately 25 dwellings with an emphasis on providing a mix of housing types and sizes to reflect local need, including affordable homes.

(2) The site should be developed in accordance with the following specific principles:

(a) vehicular and pedestrian access from the development adjoining the new village hall;

(b) a pedestrian link to the development of site BBR02;

(c) a design and layout that provides an acceptable impact on existing properties and future development; and

(d) provision of a substantial tree and hedge screen on all boundaries with open countryside.

13.63

A site to the north east or Orleigh Close, adjacent to BBR02 and to the rear of development associated with the new village hall, is proposed for residential development. Vehicular access to this site will be from development associated with the new village hall only.

13.64

This site of approximately 1 hectare can make a significant contribution to enabling continuing growth in the village over the plan period without harming the setting of the village. The site will not be developed before the substantial completion of the existing commitment in association with the village hall. The site is not expected to be released at the same time as BBR02.

13.65

Existing hedges should be reinforced and a substantial new boundary created on the northern edge to help integrate the development into the countryside.

Community Facilities

13.66

Buckland Brewer has a range of recreation provision, mainly located to the north of the village. The Local Plan safeguards use of the football pitch, playing field and allotment areas from other uses and the sites remain outside the development boundary to further discourage development pressure.

13.67

Also safeguarded is the area of amenity land adjoining the new village hall to be transferred to Parish Council as the adjacent development progresses. A play area for use by the primary school and amenity land for general use are part of the development which includes a new village hall.

Hospital transport for cancer patients

The parish clerk has received the following press release from Sharon Lynch, Manager, Go North Devon Ltd , about a new free hospital transport car service for cancer patients needing to get to North Devon District Hospital.

If you would like any further information about it please contact Sharon Lynch or use the contact phone number.

NDCCCT Car poster 2014

A new door to door trial service for cancer patients who need to get to North Devon District Hospital (NDDH) for oncology or chemotherapy treatment and who would struggle to get there has been launched this week.

The service which is funded by the North Devon Cancer Care Centre Trust (NDCCCT) and co-ordinated by Go North Devon (GND) will collect patients from the Torridge area on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and from the North Devon area on Tuesday and Thursday. The service will run twice daily to NDDH arriving at 9am and 1pm; departing at 1.15pm and 5pm. The VW Caravelle can carry five passengers on each run and booking is essential.

NDCCCT and Go have worked together for the past 17 years helping North Devon cancer patients who needed to get to Exeter on a daily basis for Radiotherapy. However an NHS funded service is now in place to help patients with these journeys so the NDCCCT Trustees felt the time was right to investigate new ways to help cancer patients in the area.

There is currently no charge for using the new service which is funded by NDCCCT from donations and fundraising. James Bonetta, Chairman of NDCCCT said “Our charity began with the goals of helping cancer patients attend appointments and offering support to the chemotherapy unit at NDDH. With the new unit opening next year this new service will combine those original aims and, we hope, help many people in the future.”

For more information or to book a seat please telephone 01271 314332 Monday to Friday 09.30 to 4.00pm (excluding Bank Holidays).

Email: Lorraine.Inch@torridge.gov.uk

Village Hall Committee minutes 15 January 2014

Minutes of the meeting on 15 January 2014

Present: Trevor Mills (Chair), Jim Lowe, Jane Lowe, David Watson, Dawn Dziurzynski, Steve Harding, Kevin Lobb, Alan Sutton, Tom Lloyd, Jo Birch, George Tilley and Shirley Tilley

1) Apologies: Alex Dziurzynski

2) Minutes of the Last Meeting 27th November 2013: Agreed and signed off.

3) Matters Arising:

a) The Inventory of Village Hall items kept outside of the Hall will be passed onto Dawn – Dave Watson still needs to ensure this will take place

b) Jane Lowe will also send a copy of the list of key holders to Dawn

c) Jane reminded the Minute Secretary to ensure that the draft minutes are circulated as soon as possible after the meeting to ensure that any necessary actions can take place. Dave Watson to ensure this is done

d) Jane Lowe stated that the lack of minutes meant that the planned Fun Raising Quiz Evening on Saturday 8 February had to be postponed until Saturday 15 March. Jane & Jim Lowe and the Entertainment Sub-Group will make arrangements for this event.

e) Jane Lowe will take charge of the arranging of the Budget Sub-Group Meeting which was arranged for Thursday 23 Jan 2014 at 7.30pm.

f) The Cleaners contract needs to be undertaken as soon as possible – Steve Harding will arrange this. The issue of the Cleaners pay & conditions will be considered at the Budget Sub-Group Meeting.

g) The issue of the rep for the Youth Farmers was clarified – Tom Lloyd will continue as the sole rep. Tom Lloyd will ask Sophie Grills is she wished to be a trustee in her own right.

4) Co-option of Trustee:

Jane Lowe has been in discussion with Paul Brown, who has expressed a wish to become a trustee. Jane Lowe nominated this co-option which was seconded by Shirley Tilley – All agreed to Paul Brown being co-opted as a Trustee. Jane Lowe will have further discussions with Paul Brown & to ask him to sign the Trustee Book, which she will ‘look after’.

5) Correspondence:

a) Steve Harding responded to the email from Laura Odell, Chair of Buckland Brewer Under Fives and a further correspondence was passed to Jane Lowe.

6) Treasurers Report:

Existing Hall

a)- Bi monthly bills are now being issued.

b)- The Performing Rights Society Licence has been paid – £135

c)- Kevin Lobb has contacted Allied Westminster for a quote for the Village Hall Insurance. The quote was for £414.38 for the same cover plus cash being held at Trustee’s homes. This compared to a quote from the previous supplier of £716.86.

d)- The new EON electric tariff has started & initial bills indicate a saving of at least 1/3.

e)- Jane Lowe had circulated an email in December regarding a donation towards the retirement of Fred & Barbara Babb. There had not been any objections raised & therefore a donation of £50 had been made from Village Hall Funds.

f)- A bill for £24.10 had been paid to Bridgemans for a gas bottle.

g)- There was an outstanding bill of £195.60 that had been received in December from Ray Hoyle, which Kevin needed authorisation to pay. Trevor Mills indicated that this was in relations to water coming into the Skittle Alley which had needed to be fixed. All agreed that Kevin Lobb should be authorised to pay this bill.

New Village Hall

f)- The Christmas Market profit was £811.09 which included a payment of £29 for leftover books from the Book Stall from a local bookseller.

g)- A Donation of £30 has been made towards the Children’s Hospice in respect of borrowing a marquee from Alana Smith & family.

Balances

Lloyds TSB – Current a/c – £1 468.74

Lloyds TSB – Deposit a/c – £2 907.89

New Village Hall – Lloyds Deposit a/c £34 499.64

Total £38,876.27

7) Fund Raising & Future Events:

a)- The Women’s Institute Fundraising Event for the Village Hall involving Tony Beard will take place on Friday 11 April. This is being arranged by the Buckland Brewer WI.

b)- It was suggested that if any Trustees have any ideas for future events then for these to be passed onto Dawn or any other members of the Entertainment Sub-Group for discussion. The Entertainment Sub-Group will meet on Monday 10 February at 7pm at Dawn’s home.

c)- The Rosemoor Event will possibly take place on Friday 22 August. Suggestions of the entertainment will be discussed at the Entertainment Meeting.

d)- Another suggestion was for a Games Evening to be held as a Fundraising Event.

e)- The Fete Meetings will now be regularly held on the 4th Wednesday of the month starting in February to avoid any clashes with the Village Hall Meetings.

8) Signing of Hall User Contracts:

Dawn Dziurzynski informed the meeting that some affiliates have not signed the User Contracts – Parish Church, Skittles, Playing Field, Parish Council & School. These were given to various trustees to be passed to the relevant organisations for signing & return to Dawn.

9) Arrangements for Village Hall –Keys & Gas Bottle Monitoring:

a)- David Lloyd still holds the key for the Gas Bottle Cage – Jane Lowe will talk to David Lloyd regarding whether he is still willing to monitor the gas supply.

b)- Jane Lowe has collected the spare Village Hall key from Babb’s. It was felt that this key will not be passed to The Community Shop to hold.

c)- Arrangements for elections held in the Village Hall will be made with Torridge District Council prior to the event.

10) Any other Business:

a)- There was some discussions on the planned ‘Race Night’ planned in the Village Hall by the Playing Field Association. There are strict rules in place for such events because of the Gambling Laws and because of this additional paperwork was required to be completed by the Playing Field Association. Alan Sutton will deal with this issue.

Shirley Tilley expressed some dismay that this event that she originally suggested for the Village Hall, but not proceeded with due to the legal requirements, had now been put into action by the Playing Field Association.

b)- The Meeting was made aware of the Launch by Pearces of the Hillpark Development on Saturday 1 February at 10am at Atlantic Village, Bideford.

11) Update on New Parish Community Hall:

This report by Jane Lowe & following discussion was wide ranging & included agenda items on Trustees & Affiliate Organisations, Budget making & running of the present hall.

There have been ongoing discussions between Jane Lowe, Project Manager & Community Council of Devon regarding the Hallmark certification process & any application for the Big Lottery. As a result of this Jane felt that there needed to be fairly radical changes in the running of the present hall to show to the Big Lottery that we as Trustees have the skills and business ability to successfully run a Community Hall. There will need to be a change in the relationship between the Trustees & the present affiliate organisations. The forthcoming Budget Meeting will need to look at the level of hall charges and all costings to enable a sustainable budget to be put in place. That these changes will include the detailed plans for the new Community Hall and its running. That these changes will need to be in place for any chance of a suitable application for the Big Lottery.

Jane gave the Meeting 3 different options regarding the New Community Hall – To proceed with the Big Lottery Grant application; To look at alternative funding for the Hall or to abandon the project and to continue with the present hall.

After a lot of discussion all Trustees agreed to proceed with the Big Lottery Grant application.

Further discussions will take place in future Meetings. It was suggested that Trustees considered the Current Policies & Procedures and what needs to change or be adapted to improve them.

At some stage there will need for more detailed discussions with the affiliate organisations and the community, which could include future Open Meetings. Jane offered to attend meetings with Community organisations in the future to have this discussion.

The Budget Sub-Group will look at all costings & charges relating to the present hall.

There will be ongoing discussions by Jane Lowe with the Community Council of Devon regarding the Hallmark process. Jane will also begin to have discussions with the architect regarding possible simplication of the Community Hall design.

The Meeting finished at 10.25pm

 

DATE OF NEXT MEETING – Wednesday 19 February 2014 at 8pm

Signed…………………………………………… Date………………………..