The Police Community Support Officers responsible for the parish of Buckland Brewer , John McGovern and Elizabeth Rendle, will attend the 2014 Parish Council Meetings as scheduled below. They will also be present at the village fete on Saturday 12th July and the Christmas market, and also make shop visits etc during the year. At Parish Council meetings the PCSOs summarise items affecting the parish which the police have dealt with, and speak early at the meeting. If you’re interested in finding out more about their work, you only need to come along for the first half hour! The dates are:
Wednesday 12th March Buckland Brewer 7.30pm: Liz
Wednesday 28th May Buckland Brewer AGM 8pm: John
Wednesday 9th July Buckland Brewer 8pm: John
Wednesday 8th October Buckland Brewer 8pm: Liz
Wednesday 10th Dec Buckland Brewer 8pm: Liz
Devon and Cornwall Police aims to serve the communities of Devon and Cornwall and help inspire greater confidence in the Police. For more information please visit their website at
This is Buckland Brewer “Open Gardens” weekend. If it’s too wet for you to be out gardening yourself, walk round and admire some other gardens instead. About eight gardens will be open in the village and you can also see what the primary school and Under 5s are up to too. Three other gardens will be open outside the village, two within walking distance (about 1 mile!) and one a little further. The Parish Church will have a display of arts and crafts.
Saturday 22 June 2013: 10 am to 4 pm
Sunday 23 June 2013: 10 am to 4 pm
Entrance programmes will be on sale at the Village Green and will only cost £2.50 per adult. Children have free admission!
Refreshments – Ploughman’s lunch, cream tea or just coffee and cake – will be available for to you to purchase throughout the day, under cover in the schoolroom of the Parish Church, and also at Cleave Farm outside the village itself, after you’ve strolled round the gardens in the sunshine (hopefully).
Rev Graham Slingo and shop manager Lorna Seymour at the community shop grand opening
Saturday 2 February saw the grand opening of the Buckland Brewer Community Shop.
There was a fantastic turnout from the village and the shop committee were delighted to welcome a number of special guests who have helped get the shop up and running. Geoffrey Cox MP helped cut the ribbon. Daniel Lobb, who helped inspired the shop logo design, cut the celebratory cake.
The committee also welcomed representatives from the Community Council of Devon, the Plunkett Foundation and the Bideford and Shebbear Methodist Circuit, plus our county district councillors Cllr Alison Boyle and Cllr Robert Hicks.
BBC Spotlight were on hand to film the opening and there was a nice package that went out on the Sunday bulletin.
A big thank you from the shop committee to everyone who helped make the day so special.
Due to the resignation of our current Parish Clerk, Buckland Brewer Parish Council is seeking a replacement.
Duties will include taking minutes at monthly meetings of the Parish Council, managing the accounts, correspondence and undertaking general administrative duties. National terms and conditions will apply.
Please contact the Chair, Jim Lowe: Tel 01 237 451193 for further details including a current Job Description.
Minutes of the Buckland Brewer Village Hall Committee Meeting Held on 23rd November 2011 following the AGM (at appx 8.30 p.m.)
Present: Trevor Mills, Jane Lowe , Jim Lowe ,David Watson, Shirley Tilley, George Tilley,Peter Sandon, David Lloyd, Margaret Lloyd, Lyn Layton, Jo Birch, Michael Martin, Alan Sutton, Frank Watson
1) Apologies: Kevin Lobb, Dawn Dziurzinski, John Bridge
2) Election of officers:
Chair – Trevor Mills, proposed David Lloyd, seconded Jo Birch, agreed unanimously.
Vice Chair – George Tilley, proposed Frank Watson, seconded Jim Lowe, agreed unanimously
Secretary – Jane Lowe, proposed Margaret Lloyd, seconded Shirley Tilley, agreed unanimously
Treasurer – Kevin Lobb, proposed Trevor Mills, seconded Margaret Lloyd, agreed unanimously (Kevin’s agreement to stand again was obtained prior to this meeting)
Bookings Secretary – Dawn Dziurzinski proposed Trevor Mills, seconded Jane Lowe, agreed unanimously (Dawn’s agreement to stand again was obtained prior to this meeting).
3 ) Minutes of last meeting 21st September 2011 agreed and signed off.
4) Matters Arising: There were a number of repair issues raised – listed *. ACTION – Jim & Jane to request Pete Seward with a view to making repairs (policy being to use local providers where possible).
*New door lock & double door Yale lock (new lock provided by Trevor and is on the premises); Ladies’ toilet door – broken lock; extensive fungal growth by men’s toilet – frame appears to need replacement; fire exit lock jams the door open; mat by front door riding up causing a health & safety hazard (advised privately to Jane after this meeting). Lyn asked about the cooker door (does not shut properly – see previous minutes) which has rendered the cooker unusable for some time. Trevor advised that (as parts were no longer possible to obtain – see previous minutes) he needed to be creative to make the repair but this was on his more immediate agenda. A discussion ensued regarding how best to get faults/repair requests etc reported e.g. possibly a list on a notice board. However this is not always a practical solution. In order to report a need for a repair, members/individuals should advise their committee representatives, who in turn should advise Trevor by telephone (NOT e-mail please).
Items received related to insurances which have been passed to the Treasurer to be dealt with in normal course of business.
6) New Parish Community Hall
Nothing definite to report – see AGM minutes.
7) Treasurer’s Report
Copies of the standard monthly report were circulated by Trevor in Kevin’s absence, key points being:
£500 Grant received from Bideford Bridge Trust towards costs of the (recently delivered) new chairs. Overall cost of these 51 chairs was £3607.20 –payment has now been made. West of England Fire Protection £43.20 paid
Pre-school & Bowls bi-monthly bills are about to be issued. £30 donated to Alzheimer Charity (in lieu of a formal payment)* see questions Treasurers report, AGM- on behalf of Alan Saunders, who has become the new auditor for the accounts £703.20 paid for the new door. Additional comments re New Community Hall- to date the Bingo has made £39.00; films have made a £33.00 loss; Beaford/Salty Socks production has made a profit of £106.00.
Balances – Lloyds TSB Current a/c – £982.46 Deposit a/c £3866.64 New Village Hall £15,074.90 Principality – £30,000.00 Total balances held £49924.00
The report was accepted by all in Kevin’s absence.
Jane advised that all Bideford Bridge grants appear to have been reduced by 50%, but all agreed that in the current economic climate we should count our blessings and be grateful for what can be afforded. Frank commented that he is aware Bideford Round Table may have funds to donate to worthy causes. ACTION – it was agreed that secretary should write to Round Table asking for a donation towards running repairs (when we become aware of what the figure will be as this will need to be shared with the potential donors).
Trevor asked David Watson about the insurance for the stage which now seems long outstanding. David recommended that Trevor contact Lorna Hicks, which – ACTION Trevor has agreed to do.
7. Fund raising/entertainment – presented by Jim
First showing of the Cinema showed a loss (see Treasurers report). It is hoped that improved sound quality and new seating may help. Salty Socks was a success both financially and as a production – it was necessary to turn people away who had not booked (thus reducing our profit-making potential) – a larger hall will alleviate this problem. Village Show – Jill & Mike reported no takers, and this will therefore be cancelled for now. If interest is expressed it may be possible to reconvene the event at a later date.
Jongleurs evening (not truly fully under the fund raisers banner) Attendance appeared to be limited to the “same old faces”. However the accompanying acts were excellent and it is hoped that in the future one or more may be adopted for an evening in the Village Hall Jubilee Proms – now confirmed with PFA and a definite date 23rd June 2012. This will be focussed on early in 2012 and details will follow. Rosemoor for 2012 has been booked for 10th August, together with the act Country Company (the only date they were available on a retirement tour). It is unclear at this stage whether Little Torrington will join with Buckland Brewer but it is felt that we can cope alone if needed.
Xmas Market. There are c. 50 stalls. Road closure has been confirmed by Devon CC (Roads).Roundabout booked. Village Hall will replace last years fund raiser (pot pourri) with artisan breads, to be placed in the marquee.Gus & Joan will be in the marquee.Santa’s Grotto will be in the chapel vestry, as last year.Santa (Richard Dorset) will arrive “in style”.Entertainment to be provided by Torrington Sliver Band, school children (hoped for) & Buckland Singers. Queens Jubilee stall- is doing biscuits but would welcome “nick-nacks” by way of donation. N.B. help will be needed from 8.00 a.m. on 3rd. The Hall will be open at 7.30 on the Friday evening. The Hall will be open to traders from 8.00 a.m. on 3rd. Bingo – Shirley advised September numbers were poor, with a similar situation in October & November. She will try once more in December (13th). Unless there is a massive change, the effort is not warranted. Help is also difficult to obtain.(in December help is offered from Jo, David & Margaret , Trevor, Gus – thanks from Shirley). Margaret proposed a vote of thanks to Shirley & George for all their input to the Bingo – agreed all.
8 AOB Alan asked about getting people better informed (about events), & proposed a large notice board (diagram showed this being placed prominently on the perimeter wall).Debate followed, but whilst the spirit of the venture was welcomed, both Trevor & Jane were concerned with the potential knock-on impacts, in terms of possibly breaching highways & planning regulations, & the nuisance value to residents. There is already a 4’ square information board to be placed on the opposite side of the road and for now it was agreed that we should continue to make best use of the A-board and larger notice boards (kept at Bearah) placed temporarily along various parts of the main road.
David Watson advised the heater in the skittle alley needs attention – ACTION Trevor to address.
Jane reminded all present that Temporary Events Notices (TENs, the drinks licenses) should be pre-notified to her before they are applied for/obtained. We are restricted to 12 per year in total (regardless of who the applicant is), but in addition, cumulative information about outstanding and spent TENs must be declared to TDC on each application – without that information, the applicant runs a strong risk of making a false declaration.