Noticeboard

WEDNESDAY 20TH NOVEMBER: BUCKLAND BREWER VILLAGE HALL

THE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING OF BUCKLAND BREWER VILLAGE HALL WILL TAKE PLACE ON WEDNESDAY 20TH NOVEMBER AT 8.00 P.M.

ALL MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC ARE WELCOME: WE ARE SEEKING POSITIVE SUPPORT.

THERE ARE PLACES AVAILABLE ON THE COMMITTEE FOR PEOPLE WISHING TO GIVE SOME TIME TO THE COMMUNITY AND BECOME A TRUSTEE.

THE SOLE REWARD IS THE KNOWLEDGE THAT YOU ARE ENSURING THAT THE PARISH, ITS ORGANISATIONS AND OTHERS BEYOND CAN CONTINUE TO HAVE A PREMISES TO USE.

WITHOUT A COMMITTEE, THERE WILL BE NO HALL AND WITHOUT A HALL……..??

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT SECRETARY JANE LOWE ON 451193.

note: THE AGM WILL BE FOLLOWED BY A SCHEDULED MEETING OF THE NEW COMMITTEE – THIS IS NOT OPEN TO THE PUBLIC.

HOWEVER, IN THE INTEREST OF SHARING INFORMATION WITH THE COMMUNITY, MINUTES OF EACH MEETING, AS THEY ARE AGREED, ARE DISPLAYED ON THE PARISH WEBSITE.

 

On Saturday 16th November enjoy a night out in the village:

 

On Saturday 16th November enjoy a night out in the village when:

BUCKLAND BREWER VILLAGE HALL PRESENTS AN EVENING WITH JOHNNY KINGDOM. JOHNNY WILL ENTERTAIN THE AUDIENCE BY PRESENTING BEHIND THE SCENES ASPECTS OF HIS T.V. WORK – SOME OF IT NOT QUITE TO PLAN! – AND TALK ABOUT HIS WORK AS A WILDLIFE PHOTOGRAPHER AND PRESENTER.

AFTER HIS TALK, HE WILL BE AVAILABLE TO CHAT ON A ONE TO ONE BASIS WHILST EVERYONE ENJOYS A DRINK AND A “LITE BITE”.

 LICENSED BAR; RAFFLE

SATURDAY 16TH NOVEMBER

STARTS 7.30 P.M. – DOORS OPEN 7.00P.M.

TICKETS £10 – SEATS ARE NOT NUMBERED AND PLACES CANNOT BE RESERVED.  SEATING WILL BE LIMITED SO PRIOR BOOKING IS ADVISABLE

 FOR ADVANCE BOOKING CONTACT 01237 451822

PROCEEDS TO NEW COMMUNITY HALL;  BUCKLAND BREWER VILLAGE HALL IS A REGISTERED CHARITY 297685

On Saturday 21st September, enjoy an evening out in the village.

ON SATURDAY 21ST SEPTEMBER BUCKLAND BREWER VILLAGE HALL presents

The MAGIC of the 2 GUITARS OF Alex Knight & Chris Glassfield

Classical, Baroque, Latin, World and Modern music through the romance and magic of two guitars

 TICKETS £10 – PRICE INCLUDES A HOT SUPPER

Advance Booking only please on 01237 451822

DOORS OPEN 7.00 P.M

FOOD SERVED AT 7.30 P.M.

MUSIC STARTS 8.30 P.M. (APPX)

LICENSED BAR, RAFFLE

 Proceeds towards Buckland Brewer New Community Hall

Buckland Brewer Parish Council: agenda for the meeting on 11-09-2013

 

The NEXT MEETING of BUCKLAND BREWER PARISH COUNCIL will be held on Wednesday 11th September 2013, 8.00pm.  It will be in Thornehillhead Chapel School Room.

AGENDA of Business to be transacted at the meeting:

995 Apologies for Absence,

996 Minutes of the Meeting of 14th August 2013

997 Declarations of Interest

998 Public Participation

999 Clerk’s Report

1000 Localism Act

1001 Insurance

1002 Thornhillhead Moor

1003 Thornhillhead Communications Mast

1004 Village Hall

1005 Tuckers Park: Tarka Housing

1006 Allotments

1007 Village Green

1008 Parish Council Website,

1009 Dog Waste Bin

1010 DCC Highways

1011 Football Club

1012 Torrington Hospital

1013 Members’ Reports

1014 Planning

Applications

1/0696/2013/FUL – Tythecott Farm, removal of conditions to permit full residential occupation

1/0688/2013/FUL – Holbrook Farm, provision of additional accommodation

1/0670/2013/EXT – Southwood House, time extension re change of use of existing barn into an annex

1/0668/2013/FUL – Bilsford Farm, erection of wind turbine

Decisions

1/0623/2013/FUL – 27 Orleigh Close, Extension and alterations – Granted Permission

1015 Accounts

ALL WELCOME

An Urgent Notice from the Village Hall.

Have you some time to spare, most months, to help your community?

Can you make accurate minutes, keep records and write letters?

Do you have organisational and computer skills?

Do you have a little working knowledge on, or want to learn about, how to run a community premises?

The Village Hall needs you URGENTLY – it will need a new secretary from this year’s AGM which will take place on 20th November.

For MORE INFORMATION and DETAILS of what’s involved, PLEASE contact me on  (01237) 451193.

Thanks, Jane Lowe.

 

 

 

 

 

(Draft) Minutes of the Buckland Brewer Parish Council Meeting on 14 August 2013

(Draft) Minutes of the Buckland Brewer Parish Council Meeting on 14 August 2013

Members Present: Mrs Barbara Babb, Mr Andrew Hewitt, Mr George Heywood, Mr Jim Lowe, Mrs Kate Slocombe, Mrs Shirley Tilley and Mr David Watson.

Also in attendance 14 members of the public including Alison Boyle, John McGovern and Tony Rowlands (Community Police Officers)

Parish Clerk: Patrick Blosse

KEY: Actions are shown in bold blue type Decisions are shown in bold red type

974 Apologies for Absence Mr David Lloyd and Mr Trevor Mills

975 Minutes of the Meeting of 10th July 2013 The minutes of the meeting held on 10th July 2013 were confirmed and signed.

976 Declarations of Interest

Barbara Babb in relation to item 967, the new housing development, and George Heywood in relation to item 993 (ii) Wind Turbine, Bowden Farm

977 Public Participation

(i) Nigel Bennett spoke against the erection of a wind turbine. He had read that most people were in favour but he had not personally been asked. He asked the Parish Council if it had considered how many would be too many for the parish? Jim Lowe explained that each application was considered individually and that the previous application in respect of Bowden Farm had been turned down by Torridge because of its height.

(ii) Maggie Melville also spoke against the erection of a wind turbine. She felt that the revised application was for a bigger turbine despite being shorter because of the width of the blades, and that it would be noisier. She did not want an “industrial structure” in the village as it would alter the character of the village, and urged the Council not to be persuaded by any potential financial contribution.

(iii) Alison Boyle reminded the Council that the latest they could register re consultation for the Atlantic Array would be 16th September and urged the Parish Council to register as an interested party. Although not an advocate of the Array she saw it as making an essential contribution towards bridging the gap in the country’s energy needs over the next few years. Further Planning Guidance to be sent via the Clerk. The Atlantic Array Committee is to be disbanded but work will continue through the officers of Devon and Torridge Councils.

978 Clerk’s Report

Correspondence. A summary of various items of general correspondence was supplied to each member. The following items were specifically drawn to the Council’s attention:

6. Torridge DC: Licencing Act 2003, Review of Policy – Jim Lowe to respond

7. Green Infrastructure Study – Response required by 9th September – Jim Lowe to coordinate

11. DALC Pay Settlement 2013/14 – Clerk’s salary increased by 1% wef 1/4/2013

12. Survey of the Community and Voluntary Sector – no response to be made

14. Maurice Knuckey: Closure of Buckland Brewer FC – clerk to write to Mr Knuckey asking for any valuables to be cleared, item to be added to next agenda

17. Torridge DC: letter from Jenny Wallace regarding Wing Turbines and the Torrington Area Advisory Committee – noted

979 Affordable Housing: Report by David Watson

David reported on the course that he had attended. Quite a few parishes had sent representatives with a range of responses including some actively promoting more affordable housing and others seeking to retain a tight control over any house building. The course recommended undertaking a house survey and identifying suitable plots of land, both of which Buckland Brewer has already done. The South West is the fastest growing region with 3,400 new homes needed each year. There were 770 more people in the Torridge area with many looking for affordable housing. The course covered topics such as Community Land Trusts, shared ownership schemes, self-building schemes (mainly eco-house designs). This parish seems to be further advanced in this area than most. A guide to applying for affordable housing was available for inspection and will be printed in the Village Scene.

980 Atlantic Array

Jim Lowe recommended that the Council should register a firm opinion to the consultation process. George Heywood explained that energy reserves were at an all time low. Supplies of LPG were recently within 4 hours of running out and electricity currently has only a 2% surplus. He felt that renewable energy sources are essential to avoid another 3-day week. Kate Slocombe felt that it was the Council’s role to represent the parishioners as per the Parish Plan. Barbara Babb stated that we should consider the needs of our children and grandchildren. Andrew Hewitt was concerned about the entrance to the Bristol Channel and to fishing. He said that he would normally be in favour but had concerns. David Watson felt there should be a mix of resources and expected that care would be taken regarding shipping etc. Shirley Tilley believed that we could overcome any inconveniences and was not against the scheme but would prefer to see tidal energy schemes. Jim Lowe was in favour of a balanced energy policy. Concerns were expressed about the route across to Alverdiscott, which had the only grid connection big enough to take the cables. A vote as taken with 6 in favour of the scheme and 1 abstention. Jim Lowe is to draft and distribute a suitable contribution to the consultation exercise.

981 Insurance

Deferred to next meeting pending response from Insurers.

982 Thornhillhead Moor

Cattle were on the moor again but there were no warning signs again. Andrew Hewitt to follow up with Claire McIntosh.

983 Thornhillhead Communications Mast The Clerk had written to the MP, Geoffrey Cox, who had responded to say that he would like to meet with the Chairman and Clerk. Due to the summer recess this will not now happen until early September.

984 Housing Development

(i) The Clerk had asked a number of local solicitors to quote to provide legal services in drawing up the agreement between the Parish Council and Village Hall Trustees for the transfer of land and the financial contribution. It was agreed that the Council would appoint Emma Reed of Slee Blackwell and a meeting would be arranged as soon as was practicable. The cost was likely to be between £750 and £1,000.

(ii) Email received from Sarah Pennington at Torridge re proposed name for the site: Hillpark or Hill Park were favoured by the developer. The Council overwhelmingly preferred Hillpark, which had historical significance.

(iii) The Secretary of the Village Hall Committee and representatives from Pearce, the developers, will be asked to attend a future meeting.

985 Tuckers Park: Tarka Housing

There had been no response from Tarka Housing. Clerk to chase up.

986 Allotments

Plot 13 had been advertised but no responses so far. George Heywood has cleared the hedge alongside plot 15. Allotment inspection arranged for 10:00am on Saturday 21st September 2013.

987 Torrington Hospital

Nothing to report.

988 Requests to DCC Highways

Jim Lowe had reported the tree in Orleigh Close and Moorhead Cross. The latter had been done but no action as yet on the tree and he was not sure if they would do anything.

989 Village Green

It was agreed to purchase a flowering cherry at a cost of approximately £65.00 including delivery, and that it would be planted further back from the road than the old one. Andrew Hewitt to remove the old tree.

990 Parish Council Website

Peter McClymont had explained that the Parish website needed to be refreshed and the domain name renewed. He offered an economic alternative to the current arrangement at a cost of less than £10 per year to register the domain through GoDaddy and offered to host the website himself for a small contribution towards his licence costs. His offer was accepted.

991 Dog Waste

Bin Shirley Tilley explained that the installation of a dog bin was in hand. Torridge could only reduce the price if we offered to carry out the installation. It was agreed to pay the full price of £115 + VAT and have Torridge install the bin.

992 Members’ Reports

Barbara Babb wished to contact DCC Highways about the traffic lights on the Hoopers Water to Landcross Chapel road. Jim Lowe thought that there might be a problem obtaining permissions from landowners which was causing delays in the works. Andrew Hewitt agreed that a complaint should be made and we should endeavour to find out how long the lights would be there.

Andrew Hewitt pointed out that there were ripples in the road between Yeo Bridge and Moor Head and that drains had sunk. Jim Lowe to email DCC Highways.

George Heywood asked if the youth drop-in centre was still going. David Watson explained that it still met every Thursday during term time (7-9pm). George also thanked everyone for their kind wishes during his recent illness and praised North Devon District Hospital.

Kate Slocombe reminded Council the high speed broadband had been offered but there had been no progress. Jim Lowe to contact Sean Kearney at Torridge DC.

Shirley Tilley reported the light in Gorwood Road (number 3833/12) which is still on 24 hours a day. Clerk to report again.

David Watson said that the Memorial should be cleaned before November and Council members offered to do it themselves. A wreath has been ordered at a cost of £35.00

993 Planning

Opinions sought:

Deferred from last meeting: 1/0589/2013/FUL: Former Shop and Post Office, Buckland Brewer Stores, change of use to residential dwelling. Members offered no objection but wished to register concern about the parking arrangements and hoped that this would not block access to the Community Shop. They also wished to register their disappointment at the loss of a commercial property within the village.

(i) 1/0623/2013/FUL – 27 Orleigh Close, Extension and Alterations No objection

(ii) 1/0017/2013/FUL – Erection of Wind Turbine, Bowden Farm, amended drawings. Andrew Hewitt pointed out that the Government practice note had changed and that he still objected to the scheme. The Council agreed to make no change to its previous response.

Decisions:

(iii) 1/0417/2013/FUL – 1 Mambury Moor Estate: Change of use from industrial to agricultural – Granted Permission – Noted

(iv) 1/0716/2012/FULM – Land Adjacent Buckland Brewer County Primary School: Proposed new village hall, 32 open market & 8 affordable dwellings – Granted Permission – Noted

(v) 1/0509/2012/EXTM – Land r/o Buckland Brewer County Primary School: Extension of time re 1/1257/2007/OUT, new community hall, 24 open Markey & 9 affordable dwellings- Withdrawn – Noted

(vi) 1/0223/2013/FUL – Hembury Orchard: Creation of Wildlife and Fishing Pond – Granted Permission – Noted

(vii) 1/0559/2012/FUL – Land at Swanton Farm: Installation of small-scale wind turbine – Refused – Noted

(viii) 1/0528/2013/FUL – The Beeches: Erection of single storey agricultural workshop – Granted Permission – Noted

994 Accounts: Bank balances:

Parish Council Current Account was £2,161.42 as at 31st July 2013

Thornehillhead Moor Account £14,794.04 as at 19th June 2013, with no further activity this month

Receipts since the last meeting:

£126.15 (being £100 plus accumulated interest) from the closure of the National Savings certificate. Andrew Hewitt reminded the Council that this had previously been earmarked for a War Memorial Fund.

Payments due (£585.70 inc VAT):

Parish Clerk’s salary, expenses and associated PAYE to 31st July 2013 (£123.10)

Buckland Brewer PCC, Grant (£250.00)

Coles re Flailing at Thornhillhead Moor (£177.60 inc. VAT)

Royal British Legion, Commemorative Wreath (£35.00)

A letter had been received from Lloyds TSB confirming that a cheque for £30.28 issued to close the account with that bank had been cashed on 12th September 2012. The cheque does not appear to have been cleared through the Council’s new bank account. The Clerk is to contact the previous clerk to reconcile.

The meeting closed at 9:55 pm

Date of Next Meeting:  Wednesday 11th September 2013 (8:00pm at Thornhill Head Moor)

Saturday 21st September 2013 – Allotment Inspection – 10.00am at the allotments

Chairman: ………………………………………………………………………. Date: …………………………………

Buckland Brewer Village Hall Committee: Minutes of the meeting on 26th June 2013

BUCKLAND BREWER VILLAGE HALL COMMITTEE

Minutes of the Buckland Brewer Village Hall Committee Meeting held on 26th June 2013 at 8.00 p.m.

Present: Trevor Mills (Chair), Jane & Jim Lowe, George and Shirley Tilley, David Watson, Dawn Dziurzynski, Steve Harding, John Bridge, Margaret and David Lloyd, Kevin Lobb, Jo Birch, Alan Sutton

1) Apologies: Derrick Ellis, Tom Lloyd, Frank Watson

2) Minutes of the Last Meeting 15th May 2013: Agreed and signed off, also for the website.

3) Matters Arising: i)Jane has put up the required checklist; ii) Trevor has purchased paint – Jo informed all this was a job for the holidays; iii) Re Healthwatch seminar, attended for BBVH by Jane & Jim – Jane commented this has appearance of a Quango and she & Jim left at half time along with many other attendees. Jane advised if any member/s of committee wanted more or specific information she would give this but the content was nebulous and certainly of no value to Village Hall; iv)Jane confirmed we are now enrolled in the revised Community Council of Devon (CCD) ;v) Kevin has some insurance figures – see Item 7); vi) Jane has applied for further funds to Bideford Bridge Trust – no response expected before early September; vii) Jane has engaged acts – see Item 8;viii) along with apologies Frank has requested to remind Trevor of the outstanding inventory for insurance purposes – ACTION Trevor to mail Frank with village hall items stored at Bearah

4) Correspondence:

i) E-mail from CCD – see 3iv;

ii) e-mail from TTVS offering a paid course ( £15 per person for 3 hours) on Roles & Responsibilities of Trustees to be run by Avon & Bristol Law Centre – Jane & Jim cannot go, others asked if they would like to. Agreed all that Martin Rich had done a good job in this respect last October so a need was not identified.

iii) Exchanges of correspondence between BBVH & Parish Council – see item 6.

iv) Letter from President of YFC – read out – advising of their support for a new hall but also asking for pricing in the new venue to respect financial limitations of users – agreed all that when costing was discussed and fixed there would be no intent to “outprice” ourselves. ACTION Jane to reply

v) Letter of complaint from secretary of YFC – read out – regarding the failure of committee to provide gas supply for the cooker at a Big Breakfast event. Request was no charge for this event and a number of issues came to light as follows:

• Jim commented that users are to be regarded as customers and the hall should be fit for use on each occasion a user enters – this includes all supplies, not just gas.

• Collective responsibility needs to be adopted for the maintenance & “fit for purposeness” of day to day use of the hall – Jane commented there are 17 trustees of equal accountability, not just 3 or 4 who seem to be the same ones usually contacted for emergency/missing items regardless of time of day or night. She suggested a roster duty of responsibility for all trustees– this was rejected by committee.

• There is no current process to replenish gas which is in an unlocked cage – how both canisters came to be empty remains to be seen – a number of solutions presented themselves – but David L offered to take primary responsibility for ensuring a supply was always available. Cage is to be re-locked.This is essential as village hall is back up in the event of a general electrical failure. There is no means of checking how much gas is in canisters apart from guesswork. ACTION David L to contact David Blight & local gas supplier to establish what can be done to ensure supply. Shirley suggested users note when they have used cooker – rejected as this is not reasonable for “outside users” and as part of their contract a user is entitled to use the cooker. Agreed all this responsibility falls to trustees, no one else.

• Hygiene – comment from YFC indicates the cooker was cleaner after they left. Discussion by committee (general hygiene of kitchen, what falls within cleaners responsibilities, value received for money etc) that Nicky should be reminded of her responsibilities in this respect. ACTION Jane tasked to write to Nicky so that this is on permanent record.

• Jane enquired whether there is a complaints procedure and if not, is one needed. Responses no, yes, in that order. Complaints procedure to be carried forward for debate & agreement at another meeting. ACTION Jane to ensure this is placed on an agenda.

• Committee agreed fee for YFC to be waived & ACTION Jane to write to YFC in terms of apology, waiver of fee agreed, thanking for support and requesting their help at next Christmas Market.

• N.B. YFC have paid no fees/subs during 2013 – for minuting but not to be pointed out within body of letter above.

• Gas canister appears to have been found by YFC in the skittles alley – unclear how or why but agreed all under no circumstances should this happen again – fire risk/insurance issues.

Recorded thanks to Dawn & Leon for provision of gas to prevent further loss to village hall (possible compensation claim) – Dawn has advised they do not wish to be paid for gas used.

5) Treasurers Report:

Kevin advised £155 received from Skittles, Nicky has spent £17.03 of her petty cash;£140 now received from TDC,£35 received from Parish Council; finals still awaited on Safari Lunch/plant sale but funds will be distributed equally between VH & new VH accounts.

Kevin had asked whether Nicky’s contract reflected her self employed status as we are not paying her tax/N.I. Jane advised not but the purpose of a contract and the conditions was to carry out an annual review. Steve commented that we may no longer be able to “get away with” not paying her tax – Jane reflected that certainly other employers she knew of were no longer willing to treat regular self employed people outside their taxation schemes. ACTION Jane to investigate BBVH obligations in terms of payments of tax/NI – changes to be advised next time & should be addressed at annual contract review due at end of year.

Kevin has obtained some comparative insurance figures which indicate that we could do better elsewhere. He stated that items held elsewhere were not covered and also “mobile” items used on other premises e.g. p.a. at fete may not be covered. Frank must complete inventory – see Matters Arising- so that greater clarity can be sought – whose responsibility to insure what needs crystallising – Jo affirmed that U-5s “kit” was insured separately. This item will be carried forward to next meeting. Jane passed Kevin details of CCD , who offer significant discounts for members.

Balances –

Lloyds TSB

Current a/c – £2,699.58 Deposit a/c £2,907.05 New Village Hall £9,182.28

Principality £30,787.86

6) Update on New Community Hall

Jane advised that tender details were with our Employers Agents – she had recently requested an update but had not yet heard – no reason to suspect progress not being made, but she would chase.

Jane advised she had dialogue & e-mail exchange with Martin Rich of CCD regards the imminent re-reading of our funding application. Already £20k was lost as we could not meet timescales from TDC funders on the matched funding. Therefore this application was reduced to £20k. With regret it was agreed that BBVH could not meet the initial criterion of having 80% of its funding secured before applying to CCD – thus the application has been withdrawn permanently as the funding will be gone at the end of this financial year and July was the last hearing. Recommendation is for this shortfall to be added to any Lottery funding application.

Martin advised that CCD have specialist help if and when a Lottery application reaches stage 3 – stages 1 & 2 can be supported “off the side of a desk” within CCD but they too have to fund their own existence and specialists are hired out at £300 per day – suggested a paid package could be agreed if desired nearer the time. This help can be claimed on a Lottery application under “professional fees”. Jane advised that she would obviously carry out the “donkey work” but felt fine-tuning of an application at a later stage was essential so secure the best chance of success. Agreed in principle by this committee, any specifics to be agreed nearer the time. Jane pointed out that the withdrawn application was not a waste of time – good groundwork for future applications.

Jane advised that having had sight of the S106 at the time it was signed by Parish Council, she was a little surprised to find that the immediate beneficiary of both the land and the funds was parish council itself. Whilst there was a clear indication that the land and funds were intended for the new hall, there was no specific instruction to parish council to hand these over to the village hall trustees to be administered by them. Jane advised committee that experience taught that there could be difficulties further down the line, & she felt it incumbent upon her to act now (having consulted with Chair) to establish clarity of action and timescales. It was also essential to be able to prove to any potential funder that the applicant was indeed in possession of both land and funds they claimed to be theirs – current S106 leaves us exposed and unable to apply to funders. Upshot is that there is now a written agreement between the 2 parties (application & negotiated response) that BBVH will purchase from parish council at earliest opportunity for £1 the patch of land intended for new hall & car park, and that parish council will upon receipt of the Pearce £325k remit this for the benefit of village hall trustees for the specific use of new hall construction. Village Hall will pay reasonable legal costs incurred. Village Hall must keep parish council informed of progress & spend. N.B. there are timescales creating financial liabilities for parish council & now village hall trustees – hall must be built and all monies used within 10 years. Jane pointed out that the impact & intent was to redirect the S106 to village hall, as if parish council weren’t involved. Committee agreed that Jane to continue to instruct solicitors as soon as parish council has informed who their legal representatives will be. ACTION Jane to carry on with land acquisition & other developments re new hall.

7) Insurances – see also item 5. Jane asked whether having declined trustee liability insurance twice, committee would reconsider this opinion. Example of what could already happen was given verbally, and Steve & Jane also suggested that with the implications within S106, this left trustees vulnerable/exposed especially with the financial distribution sum & terms. The insurance is not truly understood but Jane suggested that Kevin did a little research and also speak to Martin Rich at Community Council of Devon – ACTION Kevin to bring some specifics about cover & cost to next meeting.

8) Fund Raising events

i) Rosemoor – Trevor advised he had just received a call from Emily Wright – she had a breakthrough opportunity with her band with the BBC on the same night as our event and hoped we may be able to help her with conflict of interests. Agreed all that despite contracts etc, such appearances could not be forced and no one wanted to stand in her way, especially as she had offered to cover lost costs of existing published ticketing etc., an alternative band (Moscow Drug Club) and her services at some later date at a reduced price (50%). L.Torrington (our Rosemoor partner) had already given the same view – all agreed ACTION Trevor to contact Emily & permit her band to stand down on the understanding we would have Moscow Drug Club for the same fee. All agreed she would be welcome at some stage in the future. Jim indicated he felt that asking for a gig to be performed at 50% cost was not reasonable. Shirley reminded all that affiliates were asked to donate raffle prizes ACTION all affiliates.

ii) Fete – all in hand, draw tickets still needing to be sold. Dave W advised that help on the day was still sought after & welcome. Jim commented that whilst he was not asking for any money, he asked this & the fete committees to consider they were welcome to use, and had used, the playing field for no charge, but that the annual cost of keeping the playing field in a fit condition for users (without any developments, improvement etc) was £1500 once liability insurance and grass & mandatory hedge cutting had been paid for, and that all these funds had to be raised on a voluntary basis. He advised that a small donation to reflect this would be most welcome. Noted with surprise by this committee and David W agreed that this would be debated at fete committee.

iii) Alex Knight Duo – secured at previously advised rate – £300 (+ £50 travel if audience exceeded 50) for 21st September. Jane advised this piece of work needed to start now to meet Village Scene timescales.Jane asked who would adopt responsibility for the drinks license (named party must be in attendance for duration of event) – agreed Trevor. ACTION Jane to secure TEN in Trevors name for 21st Sept. Dawn agreed to lead on acts and has agreed to host a “starter” meeting for a sub-committee – likely to be Monday July 8th at 7 p.m.– volunteers include Jane, Alan, Shirley, Brenda Mills – ACTION Dawn to confirm to committee. Slight snag is Dawn is not available on afternoon of 21st but Margaret & Jane confirmed this should be perfectly manageable.

iv) Johnny Kingdom – Jane has secured along lines advised viz £500 cash. Committee informed of risk of no paperwork but accepted by all that failure to appear could have reputational consequences. Securing of relationship can be achieved nearer date of gig. Johnny will need DVD player & screen. Existing DVD player “expired” at Christmas Market. Jane advised that her “missing letter” quiz had raised £26 after payment of the prize and she had used this to replace the DVD player for £24.99 (account presented to Kevin for examination) thus replacement DVD player has not cost village hall.

v) Xmas Market – Jim advised of concerns as manpower all day & possibly night before was needed – we struggled last year as a number of trustees did not support – and we would need to pack up quickly because of a back to back booking for the hall. All able bodies needed – commented by a few trustees that YFC could contribute significantly and Jane instructed to mention this in her letter of apology (Item 4v).All present committed to success again this year and agreed that it should proceed.

vi) Buy a Brick – Dawn asked whether the old scheme, which ceased because there appeared to be no progress, could be reinstated. Agreed all – ACTION George to reinstate. ACTION Jane to give a progress report in August Village Scene.

9) Fitness for Purpose of Hall for contracted users/trustees responsibilities

Dealt with under 4v).

10) AOB:

Dave W suggested heaters needed testing – Trevor advised electrical inspection/PAT testing due soon and they would be covered under this.

Jo informed committee that pre-school are so successful that they have been obliged to extend their hours for 2 days per week to accommodate the demand – anticipated adverse impact from Monkleigh has not happened. Tuesdays are to be kept aside to accommodate bowls matches – implications should be discussed with Keith of Bowls Club. Congratulations from all to Jo for this success.

Jim mentioned that TDC had an open meeting on 4th to discuss a wind turbine planning agreement – this turbine potentially offers the community £70k in lump sums + £2k per year ongoing primarily defined already for the benefit of the new village hall. He proposed attending and speaking in favour, especially with loss of other funding. David W asked whether the landfill could be deemed a substitute – however this is only paid at the end of a project (after the event) and their admin charges are deducted) so benefits are significantly reduced.

Kevin asked for a check on the age of the village hall building as this could affect insurance cost – assessed as circa 1903. If anyone establishes that the building is older than this to advise Kevin as a matter of urgency – ACTION responsibility all

Jane advised she had received comments at the safari lunch about the blue tablecloths which are now irretrievably stained. Margaret has offered to make some new ones to replace.

Jane advised that neither she nor Jim would be able to make committee on 18th September & asked for committee’s preference regards 2 absences or change of date. Agreed all September date put back to 25th.

DATES OF NEXT MEETINGS –

17th July & 25th September all at 8.00 p.m. The meeting closed at 9.55 p.m.

Signed…………………………………………… Date………………………..

 

Buckland Brewer village fete – Saturday 13 July

Buckland Brewer village fete 2013

buckalnd brewer village fete

2pm, Saturday 13 July 2013

2pm Village playing field

  • Appledore Band
  • Phoenix Morris Dancers
  • The Pirate Slide and Bouncy Castle

4pm

  • Teas
  • Garden and produce show

6:30pm

  • Fancy dress judging

7pm Village

  • Parade

7pm Village playing field

  • BBQ
  • Entertainment by the North Devon Display Gymnastics Club

Sunday 14 July 6.30pm

  • Open Air Fete Service

Proceeds to
Methodist Church, Parish Church, Village Hall & Churchyard

Buckland Brewer Parish Council: Agenda 10 July 2013

The next meeting of BUCKLAND BREWER PARISH COUNCIL will be held on Wednesday 10th July 2013, at 8.00pm in Buckland Brewer Schools Hall.

AGENDA of business to be transacted at the meeting:

959 Apologies for Absence

960 Minutes of the Meeting of 12th June 2013

961 Declarations of Interest

962 Public Participation

963 Clerk’s Report

Insurances

Review of Standing Orders

Correspondence

964 Localism Act

965 Thornhillhead Moor

966 Thornhillhead Communications Mast

967 New Housing Development: Purchase of Land Request

968 Tuckers Park: Tarka Housing

969 Allotments

970 Torrington Hospital

971 Members’ Reports

972 Planning

Applications

1/0223/2013/FUL – Hembury Orchard, Creation of Wildlife Pond (Retrospective)

1/0528/2013/FUL – The Beeches, Erection of single storey agricultural workshop etc.

Decisions

No 1 Orleigh Court, Repairs to Existing Chimney – Granted Permission

973 Accounts

 

ALL WELCOME

Buckland Brewer Village Hall Committee: Minutes of meeting15-05-2013

Minutes of the Buckland Brewer Village Hall Committee Meeting held on 15th May 2013 at 8.00 p.m.

Present: Trevor Mills (Chair), Jane & Jim Lowe, George and Shirley Tilley, David and Frank Watson, Dawn Dziurzynski, Steve Harding, John Bridge, Derrick Ellis, Tom Lloyd, Margaret and David Lloyd, Kevin Lobb, Jo Birch.

1) Apologies: Alan Sutton

2) Minutes of the Last Meeting 24th April 2013: Agreed and signed off, also for the website.

3) Matters Arising: Keys for skittle alley – WIP; Filmnight – Jane confirmed, having checked with authorities, that regardless of whether they felt club status somehow protected them, anyone showing films in a public place without having paid for a full license was breaking the law and could be subject to prosecution– all agreed this was not acceptable for BBVH, others could do as they pleased. Shirley explained she had received a few queries about whether films would be shown again – agreed all we know the maths on numbers to prevent financial loss. Jane advised at any stage if anyone felt they wished to try again on a non-loss making basis she would happily hand over Filmbank passwords etc – no takers; Door closure notice – double door left unlocked again tonight and toilet lights have recently been left on after the hall was closed up. Although people may become inured to notices in front of them, ACTION Jane agreed to put up an exit checklist in a prominent place in the hope it may invite extra attention upon leaving; provision of U-5s paint – some confusion about who would do what, clarified that hall team would buy the paint for U-5s to carry out the task in the summer break – ACTION Trevor will make paint purchase; inventory of off-site property – WIP- Frank had started the piece of work tonight before this meeting. Jane advised the annual Committee Charities Commission return, an outstanding action on her from previous minutes, was complete.Kevin confirmed that Nikki (cleaner) now has a working float of £25.

4) Correspondence:

i) Jane had received an e-mail from Healthwatch (she had also shared this with Parish Council) – indications are that there could be significant changes in how healthcare is rolled out over communities & rural areas, and community input seems to be invited. No cost – Jane wants to attend Pollyfields on 6th June & invited others – Shirley & George also to attend for BBVH.ACTION Jane to arrange.

ii) Letter received from Castle Hill Surgery Torrington inviting BBVH to use their facilities for advertising. Agreed beneficial to us.

iii) Advice of “merger” between Community Council of Devon (we have membership) with Community Buildings & Playing Fields Association; existing membership due for renewal and agreed by all that we must become a full member of the revised bigger organisation – ACTION Jane to organise, fee £50

iv) Nigel Gale has sent Jane a copy of Devon Funding News (27 pages) which is a publication giving up to date information on funders and workstreams into them. Jane will use this in the coming weeks/months.

5) Treasurers Report:

Comments

Existing Hall

All bills up to date. Young Farmers last invoice outstanding – they are now in possession of their new invoice (Kevin expressed concern about the most recently issued one); £100 just received for elections not yet stated in accounts; TDC “fitness” £140 still outstanding.

Current position sees us ahead, although £30 down on this time last year; electric remains a significant concern with £1000 discrepancy where it was £700 last year. In mitigation there is now £400 extra income from pre-school to offset against the £1000. Question about whether Parish Council was charged for Hall use – affirmative, at the affiliated (correct) rate.

New Hall

£25 donation from Loxhore Village Hall for use of Jane’s Virtual Treasure Hunt (presented by Jim & Jane in Loxhore mid-April)

Balances –

Lloyds TSB

Current a/c – £2037.59 Deposit a/c £2906.92 New Village Hall £9156.50

Principality – £30,787.86

Total balances held £44,888.87

6) New Community Hall: Jim reported that the recent issue with 106 regards building schedule was resolved (Torridge having accepted they were fully in the wrong to raise the query at this stage); the latest “niggle” had been a legal matter regards a “red line” – Paul Knox/Pearce confirmed (telecon 13/5) that he was that day dealing with the necessary diagram. We have been advised by TDC (also telecon 13/5, David Green) that once they are in possession of this information no further delays are anticipated.

On 9th May Jane (as representative/contact for BBVH) had met with Kevin Binmore, Employers Agent at his request together with his surveyor Paul Richards to discuss tender & its process & deadlines. Full report made at this meeting and recorded within BBVH master records.

7) Insurances – see Minutes April – WIP- Kevin is awaiting figures from various..

8) Application to Bideford Bridge Trust – where should funding application be directed

A number of options were discussed last time but no definite decisions. In light of item 6, all agreed we should ask for funding to pay for Performance Bond.

9) Fund Raising/Events

Safari Lunch – a little early yet to give figures.

Rosemoor update – WIP at present; being slightly earlier this year proves to be of benefit.

Fete – Tea convener needed – no volunteer at this stage

Xmas Market – stalls already being sold, some asking for double capacity. Trevor confirmed his new marquee would be available for the event

£1 Quiz – £20 prize money now covered off so any further sales constituted income for BBVH.

Entertainments evenings – Dawn explained that the last visit to Beaford had not produced anything suitable to bid for – acts either not “upbeat” enough or unsuitable for our location. In light of this Jane had done research in advance and circulated committee. Johnny Kingdom – £500 for Exmoor presentation – agreed this would sell to a wider audience. Johnny’s preferred timing would be late November, better still a Friday night. Alex Knight – guitar duo with classical expertise but variety of music from Baroque to modern, “Latino” & “World”. Also Devon-based, would charge £300 although they did ask if we had more than 50 in audience whether we could stretch to paying their travel, a further £50.Committee agreed both acts, Alex early-mid October, Johnny as he asks but leaving 2 weeks between that & Xmas Market. Dawn suggested that any such events should be managed by a committee – she would be willing to act as “focal point” after initial negotiations, gratefully accepted by committee. ACTION Jane to see whether she can engage acts as requested.

10) AOB: Jane reminded that for workload reasons (assuming committee wanted her to carry on with work on new building) she would be standing down as secretary and so a “secretary elect” did need to be in place prior to November. Jane was keen to prevent anyone being “dropped in the deep end” with a proper handover and there are a number of regular “non-clerical” tasks. Committee/Trevor advised that for now this should remain an internal matter, someone would come forward, and regarded as WIP.

DATES OF NEXT MEETINGS –

26th June, 17th July, 18th September all at 8.00 p.m. Agreed no purpose in scheduling a meeting in August unless an urgent matter arose when we could have an emergency meeting with those who were available.

The meeting closed at 9.05 p.m.

Signed…………………………………………… Date………………………..