News

Buckland Brewer development: the draft Local Plan

North Devon and Torridge District Councis have published the draft Local Plan which covers proposed development in northern Devon up to 2031. Public consultation on the plan ends on 8 August 2014.

For full details see:

This map of Buckland Brewer village shows how the village is expected to change over the next 15 to 20 years.

Buckland Brewer Policies Map

For convenience of people living in the parish, we’ve reproduced the parts of the plan relevant to Buckland Brewer. You should read this in light of the contents of the whole draft plan.

Buckland Brewer Spatial Strategy

The community’s spatial vision for the Local Centre is that it should support a range of facilities and amenities to meet the needs of residents and that it should have a more balanced age profile than at present. The community accepts that significant growth in population, particularly in the younger age groups, is likely to be necessary to help achieve this.

The vision will be delivered through:

(a) provision of approximately 103 dwellings including affordable homes, to meet a range of housing needs in the community with an emphasis on smaller properties for families and single people. The supply of housing will be delivered through extant planning consents and two site allocations with a capacity for approximately 45 dwellings;

(b) two additional housing sites within the development boundary, together with smaller infill plots;

(c) seeking to retain and expand existing services and facilities in the village;

(d) retention of existing sports and recreation facilities, and

(e) supporting appropriate employment provision, including live-work units subject to market demand.

The Development Proposals

13.49

The spatial strategy for the village will be supported in a range of ways including the site specific policies below.

13.50

A development boundary for Buckland Brewer is defined on Policies Map 12 outside of which the principle of residential development is only supported on an exceptional basis. The development boundary includes opportunities for additional development in addition to the sites subject to specific policies.

Employment

13.51

Employment in Buckland Brewer is related primarily to service activities.

for Policy BBR01: Land Adjoining Football Pitch

(1) Land to the north of Buckland Brewer, as shown on Policies Map 12, is allocated for economic development to include a mix of unit sizes focused on meeting local business needs.

(2) The site should be developed in accordance with the following site specific development principles:

(a) a focus on economic uses within the B1 Use Class;

(b) a very high standard of unified design and appearance in view of the location of the site in the countryside; and

(c) appropriate screening on all boundaries to integrate the development into its countryside setting.

13.52

During the life of the Local Plan there may be a requirement for additional land or premises to accommodate businesses able to provide a service to, or employment for local people. A small site is allocated to accommodate this demand to the north of the village.

13.53

The allocated site of about 0.22 hectares can accommodate premises for light industrial or other B1 uses to help provide a range of employment opportunities in Buckland Brewer.  Its location will ensure minimal impact on existing residential property and on traffic in the village.

13.54

The site is in a very prominent position, visible from all directions, and its development needs to reflect this. A very high standard of design of buildings will be required to ensure visual impact is minimised.  Boundary planting will need to be substantial to help integrate new development into the countryside.

13.55

If required, the opportunity could be taken to integrate access arrangements for this site, the football pitch and the adjoining allotments.

Housing

13.56

There is a substantial existing commitment1 to additional housing in the village with permitted sites at Gorwood Road and to the south east of Buckland Brewer in association with a new village hall. Further sites are additionally allocated to meet the spatial strategy for Buckland Brewer over the plan period.

13.57

The identified sites are considered to be deliverable. They will be released to ensure a steady pace of development over the plan period and in accordance with the spatial strategy. The order of presentation does not reflect any priority for release of the sites.

13.58

Existing commitments include a number of affordable dwellings. During the plan period additional affordable homes may be needed to meet local needs. All sites will be required to meet a range of housing needs in accordance with the spatial strategy and general plan policies. If a more significant need for affordable property is identified land to the south of the settlement, known locally as ‘Cock Pheasant’, between the roads to Great Torrington and Thornhillhead, is considered suitable. This site is outside the development boundary and will be released only in accordance with Policy ST19: Affordable Housing on Exceptions Sites.

Policy BBR02: Land at Orleigh Close

(1) Land north east of Orleigh Close, as shown on Policies Map 12, is allocated for residential development that includes

(a) approximately 20 dwellings with an emphasis on providing a mix of housing types and sizes to reflect local need, including affordable homes; and

(b) adequate replacement for any parking spaces lost to obtain satisfactory access to the principal village road through Orleigh Close.

(2) The site should be developed in accordance with the following specific development principles:

(a) provide vehicular access only from Orleigh Close;

(b) a design and layout that provides an acceptable impact on existing properties;

(c) provision of a substantial tree and hedge screen on all boundaries with open countryside; and

(d) a pedestrian link to land proposed for development to the south east.

13.59

A site to the north east of Orleigh Close on the eastern side of the village is allocated for housing. The site is relatively level and can accommodate a range of dwellings to meet local needs. It is well related to the highway network and village facilities and with appropriate landscaping, will not harm the landscape setting of the village.

13.60

This site of approximately 1.1 hectares can make a significant contribution to enabling continuing growth in the village over the plan period without harming the setting of the village. To ensure this is achieved, development will be expected to follow the substantial completion of the existing commitment in association with the village hall. The site is not expected to be released at the same time as BBR03.

13.6

The site borders the front of properties in Orleigh Close. Detailed design and layout that avoids overlooking between existing and new properties is essential. Access through the site to Meadow Park will need to be provided.

13.62

Substantial planting on the eastern, currently undefined, boundary is required to minimise the impact on the countryside setting. Existing hedge boundaries will also be reinforced with native planting to create more biodiverse features capable of screening the site

Policy BBR03: Land to the North East of Orleigh Close

(1) Land to the north east of Orleigh Close, as shown on Policies Map 12, is allocated for residential development that includes approximately 25 dwellings with an emphasis on providing a mix of housing types and sizes to reflect local need, including affordable homes.

(2) The site should be developed in accordance with the following specific principles:

(a) vehicular and pedestrian access from the development adjoining the new village hall;

(b) a pedestrian link to the development of site BBR02;

(c) a design and layout that provides an acceptable impact on existing properties and future development; and

(d) provision of a substantial tree and hedge screen on all boundaries with open countryside.

13.63

A site to the north east or Orleigh Close, adjacent to BBR02 and to the rear of development associated with the new village hall, is proposed for residential development. Vehicular access to this site will be from development associated with the new village hall only.

13.64

This site of approximately 1 hectare can make a significant contribution to enabling continuing growth in the village over the plan period without harming the setting of the village. The site will not be developed before the substantial completion of the existing commitment in association with the village hall. The site is not expected to be released at the same time as BBR02.

13.65

Existing hedges should be reinforced and a substantial new boundary created on the northern edge to help integrate the development into the countryside.

Community Facilities

13.66

Buckland Brewer has a range of recreation provision, mainly located to the north of the village. The Local Plan safeguards use of the football pitch, playing field and allotment areas from other uses and the sites remain outside the development boundary to further discourage development pressure.

13.67

Also safeguarded is the area of amenity land adjoining the new village hall to be transferred to Parish Council as the adjacent development progresses. A play area for use by the primary school and amenity land for general use are part of the development which includes a new village hall.

Police warn – don’t fall for this scam

Devon and Cornwall Police has sent this urgent warning to the Parish Clerk

Date: Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 11:27 AM
Subject: Op Fardel – Phone scam: Police urgent warning

Devon and Cornwall Police have received many reports relating to a professionally run national scam. This has led to many vulnerable people, who are often elderly, being ruthlessly defrauded out of thousands of pounds. There have been a considerable number of victims nationwide, including many locally in the Devon and Cornwall area. The average age of victim appears to be 70 years old, with losses ranging between £4000 -  £100,000+.

The offender(s) call unsuspecting victims purporting to be an official body, such as the police or bank. At present the common theme is for the caller to claim to be a Metropolitan police detective. The offender(s) then convince the victim that there has been some form of fraudulent activity with their bank account. They sometimes claim to have someone in police custody who was found with the victims bank details, or that their account has, or is being used, to withdraw substantial sums of money. The caller requests bank account details, PIN numbers and other details as a matter of urgency to prevent further substantial losses.

The caller often invites the victim to hang up the phone and call their bank or local police to confirm events. What the victim is unaware of is that the caller has maintained an open phone line, so on re-dialling the victim is actually connected to and conversing with the same offender(s) throughout the whole process. Once having attained all bank details the caller eventually tries to convince the victim to package their bank cards, seal them in an envelope and wait for a courier to arrive and collect. On occasion the caller also convinces the victim to visit their bank and withdraw substantial sums of cash from their accounts and await further instructions; usually involving a courier as described. The offender(s) sound professional, use decoding electronic devices as part of the process and even have automated messages and background music if on hold; it is a sophisticated and well planned operation which gives the impression of being genuine.

Please can staff be made aware of the scam so that the most suitable advice can be offered to potential victims from the earliest stage.

For further information and advice, please contact:

Donna Woolway, Devon and Cornwall Police Force Crime Prevention Team, Barnstaple Police Station. 01271 318559

Calling Buckland Brewer’s enterprising women

Networking, Peer Support and Business Development Advice for Enterprising Women

This new support programme is for women who are based in rural Devon (outside of Exeter, Torbay and Plymouth).

Eligible businesses must be more than 50% owned or managed by women, the business may be run as a social enterprise, a private business or sole trader status.

This initiative offers FREE support, networking and events which are delivered in a variety of ways to give women a choice and options as to how they wish to be involved.

There is an event at 6pm on Monday 18 August at the Bluecoat Centre in Great Torrington.

For more information see Women Led Enterprise Programme

The programme is run by the Community Council of Devon

Telephone: 01392 248919

Plantlife: events summer 2014

Wild about plant life?

If you are wild about plant life then three events organised by Plantlife this summer, as part of their “Make the small things count” project, will give you an opportunity to indulge yourself.  The events are free.

East Dartmoor National Nature Reserve

11am to 4pm, Wednesday 30 July

Join us for an inspirational walk in the woods and use soil and plant pigments to create printed collages of magical mosses, fabulous ferns and lovely lichens. Prepare to get messy as you get up close and personal with these hidden gems!  Meet at the Woodland Centre which will be signed from near to the entrance to the reserve and has parking. Information on how to get to the reserve can be found on the East Dartmoor National Nature Reserve website.  Please bring suitable clothing and stout footwear as the session may get a bit messy. You may also wish to bring a camera. Remember to bring a packed lunch and plenty to drink.  Booking is essential, see Wild about plants events

Earth’s Studio Arts Workshops: Lynmouth Pavilion

11am to 4pm Thursday 21 August and Saturday 13 September

Join us for an inspirational walk in the woods and use soil and plant pigments to create printed collages of magical mosses, fabulous ferns and lovely lichens. Prepare to get messy as you get up close and personal with these hidden gems!  Please bring suitable clothing and stout footwear as the session may get a bit messy. You may also wish to bring a camera. Remember to bring a packed lunch and plenty to drink.  Meet at the Pavilion.  Booking is essential, see Wild about plants events

The Lowdown on Lichens

11am to 2pm, Tuesday 2 September 2014

Join us for a walk in one of the south west’s special and beautiful Atlantic woodlands and learn about the lichens growing there.  This journey through Badgworthy woods at Malmsmead on Exmoor will open your eyes to a new world.  Walk leaders will help you not only to identify a few iconic species to amaze your friends with, they will share some of the lichens’ secrets including how they can protect you from burning in the sun and how they could help you to find your way if you were lost…

Bring a packed lunch and clothing for all weather.  We will be walking through the woods so stout footwear is advisable.  You might want to bring your camera to take photos and enter our Wonders of the Woodlands competition.  This is a free workshop suitable for absolute lichen beginners and is being run as part of the lottery funded Make the Small Things Count project.  Over 18s only please.  Meet at the car park at Malmsmead close to Lorna Doone Farm SS792478. Booking is essential, see Wild about plants events

Further details about see Plantlife’s Make the Small Things Count project.

The organiser for all the above events is Katie Cameron

Email: Katie.Cameron@plantlife.org.uk

Post: 14 Rollestone St, Salisbury, SP1 1DX

Telephone:  01722 342759

Website: Plantlife

Councillor David Lloyd

At the meeting of Buckland Brewer Parish Council last Wednesday, the Chairman announced with deep sorrow that Councillor David Lloyd had died suddenly on 2 July.  David had been a parish councillor for many years and was a former Chairman of the council.  All those at the meeting stood in silence as a mark of their respect.

David’s funeral and memorial service will be held at Barnstaple Crematorium on at 3pm on Thursday 17 July.

There will be a tea served in Buckland Brewer Village Hall afterwards, to which all are welcome.

No flowers please. There will be a collection.

Hospital transport for cancer patients

The parish clerk has received the following press release from Sharon Lynch, Manager, Go North Devon Ltd , about a new free hospital transport car service for cancer patients needing to get to North Devon District Hospital.

If you would like any further information about it please contact Sharon Lynch or use the contact phone number.

NDCCCT Car poster 2014

A new door to door trial service for cancer patients who need to get to North Devon District Hospital (NDDH) for oncology or chemotherapy treatment and who would struggle to get there has been launched this week.

The service which is funded by the North Devon Cancer Care Centre Trust (NDCCCT) and co-ordinated by Go North Devon (GND) will collect patients from the Torridge area on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and from the North Devon area on Tuesday and Thursday. The service will run twice daily to NDDH arriving at 9am and 1pm; departing at 1.15pm and 5pm. The VW Caravelle can carry five passengers on each run and booking is essential.

NDCCCT and Go have worked together for the past 17 years helping North Devon cancer patients who needed to get to Exeter on a daily basis for Radiotherapy. However an NHS funded service is now in place to help patients with these journeys so the NDCCCT Trustees felt the time was right to investigate new ways to help cancer patients in the area.

There is currently no charge for using the new service which is funded by NDCCCT from donations and fundraising. James Bonetta, Chairman of NDCCCT said “Our charity began with the goals of helping cancer patients attend appointments and offering support to the chemotherapy unit at NDDH. With the new unit opening next year this new service will combine those original aims and, we hope, help many people in the future.”

For more information or to book a seat please telephone 01271 314332 Monday to Friday 09.30 to 4.00pm (excluding Bank Holidays).

Email: Lorraine.Inch@torridge.gov.uk

Buckland Brewer Bus: schedule from 4 July to 3 Sept 2014

Summer Holidays late Friday Afternoon Replacement Bus Service from Bideford Quay to Buckland Brewer and on to Bradworthy

Petroc College term ends on Friday 4th July.  Thereafter and until Wednesday 3rd September there will be no early (8.55am) 372 Beacon bus from  Buckland Brewer to Barnstaple nor late (4.30pm) afternoon bus back from Barnstaple.

As in previous years Bradworthy, Buckland Brewer, Parkham and Putford Parish Councils, with the help of Torridge Community Transport, will be running an replacement service from Bideford Quay to Buckland Brewer and on to Bradworthy to meet the needs of parishioners.

It will run every Friday afternoon, starting on July 19th at 5.05 pm from Bideford Quay (Stop A).  It will continue for Seven Fridays until the new term starts at Petroc College.

Buckland Brewer Parish Council apologises for missing the first two Fridays.  This year there have been difficulties with the traffic commissioners beyond their control.

Please note that the normal 10.25 am Monday to Friday Beacon 372 services from Buckland Brewer that returns from Barnstaple at 1.30pm and 1.55pm from Bideford Quay will continue as normal throughout the summer.

A386 closure overnight 23 to 24 June 2014

 

The Clerk to Buckland Brewer Parish Council has received a Road Closure notice from  Joanna Cole, Customer Liaison Administrator, South West Highways.

There will be a NIGHT TIME Road closure on the A386 Bideford to Torrington Road from Weare Giffard Cross to Rakenham Toll House Cross, Monkleigh, during the evening/night of Mon 23rd June.  During the works, a diversion route will be signed and maintained as also shown on the map (click on Map A386 Weare Giffard to Rakenham Toll House.)

It is to enable SWH to carry out patching works on behalf of Devon County Council.    Circumstances and weather permitting, the anticipated working times will be 7pm – 7am.   Please be aware however, that the dates may need to change at short notice.

South West Highways apologise for any inconvenience.

If you have any queries please email Joanna Cole (joanna.cole@swhltd.co.uk) or telephone her at 01805 622395 ext  2017

 

Village Hall Committee Minutes 19 March 2014

Minutes of the Buckland Brewer Village Hall Committee Meeting 19th March 2014 at 7.45 p.m.
Present: Trevor Mills (Chair), Jane Lowe(minute taker for this meeting), Jim Lowe, George and Shirley Tilley, David Watson, Dawn Dziurzynski, Steve Harding,  Jo Birch, Alan Sutton, Alex Dziurzynski, Barbara Babb, Tom Lloyd, guest speaker  Martin Rich, Project Development Officer ,Community Council of Devon(CCD)

The agenda was rearranged at the meeting to accommodate Martin Rich, the agenda numbers may not match fully minutes, meeting conducted in this order:-

Apologies:   Kevin Lobb
Presentation by Martin Rich. Contents circulated separately, key points being actions required of this committee to ensure acquisition of funding to progress to new hall build as follows:-
Reinforcement of last Octobers presentation by Jane (Project Liaison Officer), advising of the input required to submit an application
The requirement for the internal appointed project manager to be able to separate from the day to day management of the hall and its related business
The indispensable value of Hallmark accreditation, at least Stages 1 & 2
Need to maintain absolute financial sustainability of the existing business including all local users covering running costs in full and no “free rides”.
Despite the apparent Hallmark requirement of only 70% of non-mandatory tasks, this was a “red herring” as everything should be completed unless it was simply not applicable to the premises.

Alex asked, once the business rigour had been achieved, what track record needed to be established before funders would consider applications – Martin indicated that a likely view would be that funders would accept any lessons had been learned and that we would as a consequence continue to do things to right way, thus applications then need not be further delayed. Shirley queried whether funders wanted to see a development started before they would help financially – Martin suggested this was not his experience but Project Liaison Officer informed Martin that 4 applications submitted last summer had all been rejected for this reason. She also reminded Martin that we did not yet own the land. Martin reminded of the risk of the S106 inasmuch as the developer could at some stage sell on the development prior to completion, thus nullifying the S106. This is not likely but must be accepted as a risk. Jane asked what notice would be needed for Hallmark exam/test –  August is an acceptable proposal, 6-8 weeks notice, for “cost effectiveness” for examiner both HM 1 & 2 to be taken together. Marginal failures, if they can be evidenced by a subsequently provided letter/certificate/invoice for work done, can be resolved by correspondence with CCD. Larger failures will require a “re-sit”  but Hallmark Champions are available to offer support prior to taking the tests – more info available from  CCD.
Hallmark report delivered by Steve H. Notes already circulated to all trustees & retained for the record – key additional points:-
Jane confirmed that whilst the named documents had not previously been circulated to trustees, she had taken guidance from Martin Rich’s presentation in 2012 and had advised updated all new trustees regarding their responsibilities and an overview of issues and developments. All trustees had been circulated with a document advising what was required of them after Martin’s visit in 2012(confirmed within the trustee signature book).
Trevor is carrying out an electrical consultation regards heating improvement to comply with Hallmark standards and expressed concerns regards heating left running-timers may be needed if meter is dispensed with (deemed desirable)and all heating is run from direct source(cost to be factored into pricing structure). ACTION Trevor to speak to heating specialists and report back in full with recommendations by next meeting.
White board reports a requirement to store rubbish outside ACTION Alex to lend a green wheelie bin to protect black waste sacks placed outside pending collection, to observe hygiene requirements. Nicky to be asked to buy better quality bags.
Full review & design of rigour for bookings from initial hire to admission of customer into Hall – 31st March with Booking Secretary.
Treasurer to be invited to a future meeting to ensure completeness of financial processes – required Internet access mandate to be with Treasurer by end of week.

Following actions proposed Jim (for Hallmark team), seconded Shirley, agreed unan.
Expenditure for curtain cleaning (incl .fire retardant) ACTION Jim
Adoption of policies regards Public & Community, Health & Safety (subject to one minor amendment),Trustees responsibilities/What is a Quorum initial draft proposal( with revisions & additions)
Resignation of Minutes Secretary. David is unable tocarry out these duties because of other personal obligations – Chair thanks him for his help since his election last November. Steve offered to take over – proposed Dawn D, seconded Barbara B. No other nominations, elected unan. Steve advised that he would be absent for a future meeting – assurance given that either Jane or Dawn could always sit in on a temporary basis.
Minutes of last meeting – since e-circulation this morning there had been a need to make significant additions & an amendment. David had brought a revised paper copy for each trustee – scanned copy circulated with these minutes. Alex suggested best means of ratification was by e-mail provided that this was done within next few days – ACTION ALL TRUSTEES to review and inform to new Minutes secretary (Steve Harding) if they had any further amendments to make. Non reply by 26th March will indicate agreement that revised minutes are in order.
Matters Arising – ladies toilet mechanism repaired by Andy Dennis (local plumber);outside door has been repaired & is now easily locked; David Lloyd has agreed to continue to monitor gas supply; Zumba issue has been managed by Dawn without need for correspondence; Trevor has passed Ray Hoyle’s bill (leaking roof in storms)tonight to Treasurer; Hallmark sub-committee now set up (Chair Jim) & functional, reporting into Project Liaison officer and this committee; proposed Big Breakfast – Shirley (supported by other committee members) expressed frustration that the date set & booked for 27th April & agreed (by concensus on 19th Feb) & so advertised,  had been compromised by a very late booking for a slightly earlier identical function from another organisation. She explained that some years ago there had been an agreement that co-ordination between organisations would prevent this type of thing happening and much support from within committee was offered for re-instatement/observance of this practice. Young Farmers have “one in mind”, no date set – ACTION Tom to ensure that this is fed back to YFA to ensure no future conflicts. Village hall Big Breakfast re-arranged for Sun 8th June ACTION Jane to ensure advertising is managed.
Correspondence:

Non-domestic rates Torridge District Council set as NIL for coming year.
Treasurers Report: (delivered by Jane Lowe in absence of treasurer)
Bi-monthly bills now issued;
SWWA £39.24 paid;
Whilst annual electric bill has decreased the usage had increased and must be factored into future pricing (refer to finance sub-committee recommendations & item 3 above) viz.:12/13 usage 5255KWh £1057.90, 13/14 usage 5348 KWh £861.93
Lloyds Bank will issue a payment for £400 on Matched Fund scheme for Treasurers time.
Plumber paid – see Matters Arising – £66.80
Mindbender Quiz raised net £194.50 (after payment for hall hire as agreed).
Savings account is earning 0.05%- consider re-investment. Principality is not accepting new customers at present – other offerings appear high risk. Agreed all that watching brief whilst economic upturn develops & Bank of England moves to increase interest rates – no action yet.
Balances –

Lloyds TSB

Current a/c – £1,719.78                Deposit a/c £2,908.13             New Village Hall £34,688.65

Total £39,316.56

Caveat from Jane reminding trustees of shortfall in projected budget and possible erosion of reserves (deposit account) unless footfall/income is somehow increased – acknowledged by committee.

Organisations – reminded that if they need to cancel this must be to Bookings secretary and 24 hours notice must be given

Finance sub-committee report

i)New hourly rate re-considered – proposed Jane revise scoped £12 per hour to be reduced to £10 per hour, seconded George, agreed unan. To be effective subject to next Hallmark committee meeting when method for implementation will be devised.  Info shared with Chapel by historic arrangement. Barbara queried whether Church was involved in this pricing agreement – nothing known ACTION Dave will speak to PCC when they next meet & report back with a view to liaison & agreement.

ii) Should we limit use of urn to larger events only + a charge (uses a lot of electricity), very few further options of cost-cutting available if we are not to reduce hall to an unappealing proposition. Agreed that whilst kitchen water heater remains inefficient we may inadvertently breach hygiene regulations (urn is used to heat washing up water) – defer for discussion/resolution by Hallmark committee & Trevors research (Item 3)

iii) Cost of hire of crocks tables etc to remain the same subject to review but must be enforced & respected by all – failure to maximise ability to raise income may place entire future of hall at risk – we are fighting for financial survival (see also Item 2).These items remain in Trust and must be accessed only by agreed process – no individual has a right to remove items without prior booking & agreed payment.

iv) Premises & key control is the key to price enforcement. This sub-committee will work closely with Hallmark to develop a policy & process that will protect the Trust & ensure Hallmark certification. Next meeting is May 1st.
Upkeep & ongoing work on existing Hall – much discussed & resolved under Items 3 & 6.In addition, debate around storage and the need to have all items on hall inventory under central control so that it can be monitored & hired out. Trevor suggests p.a. can be placed in specially built cupboard in the  ladies’ toilet. Agreed as W.I.P. to be resolved at May meeting.
Fund Raising events
Thanks delivered to Jim & Jane plus supporting helpers for Quiz.
Tony Beard night 11th April report by Dawn (liaising with W.I.). W.I. will provide hot supper (eating before entertainment, 7 for 7.30).Tickets £10 p.h. Staging required -  stored in school, event during school holidays so access to be resolved. Gus (David Blight) has agreed to run bar, Jane to be licensee (therefore must attend event) – agreed all £21 may be paid for Temporary Events Notice ACTION Jane – this will be added to the annual tally of licenses(18 permitted each calendar year, each individual licensee has an allowance of 6).Large advertising boards requested – agreed Trevor ACTION Dawn to sort details with Brenda. ACTION ALL TRUSTEES Manpower required 4 p.m. set up. & onward to clear up afterwards. Support of event (buy a ticket) requested. Agreed that Village Hall cash may be used for fee payment (£150) plus provision of float for door & raffle.

Next meeting to be at Alex’s on Monday 24th 7 p.m. – more trustees/support needed and welcomed.
New Hall Update – from Project Liaison Officer(Jane)

Advised that ongoing work with Hallmark, finance sub-committee & especially liaison with community at large indicates that there is no business case for making application to Big Lottery. Requested help has not been forthcoming despite a number of direct approaches, commitment not truly evidenced, and organisations and individuals appear to have ( understandably) placed their own interests & needs ( a number of examples given) in priority to “walking the extra mile” & making necessary sacrifices & compromises that demonstrate a collective wider view that a new hall is regarded as the most important community project. There is also inadequate footfall to justify a build of the size aspired to (operations such as hoped for “blood bank” have been reduced during recession). The fear remains that the magnitude of the application and what it involves has not still possibly been recognised and that there is a collective hope that “someone else” will do the work of what needs to be a significantly sized team of professionals – this is not a single-handed task nor a simple form filling exercise – see Item 2. Project Liaison Officer has also, despite agreement with committee last year, not yet been able to separate from the day to day management of the business & take a back seat in fund-raising events although it is accepted that it is essential to have the present business situation (Finance & Hallmark sub-committees) in order to define how the future may evolve. Options offered for way forward and indication that choices must be made before autumn when Pearce plans to leave site.

Barbara advised that this needed to be discussed in the round and that committee should come with an open mind to debate next steps. Agreed by all that next meeting should be dedicated to decision making and that other matters may need to be deferred to May, dependent upon time availability.

 

AOB:

Official welcome to Barbara from Dawn.

Alex suggested a “positive spin” on kit hire rigour – agreed all – ACTION Jane to advertise hall kit for hire in a positive manner.

Trevor advised all present that the staging (Item 11 & Hallmark) belongs to him (in a business relationship with RHS Rosemoor) – he is happy for it to remain stored in the school, and that the school is aware that it should remain at the disposal of the village hall subject to suitable notice of access being given .
DATES OF NEXT MEETINGS –

Wednesday 16th April, Wednesday 21st May. The meeting closed at 10.20   p.m.

Signed……………………………………………                   Date………………………..